Companion Animal Hospital is currently seeking a candidate for our kennel assistant position. Individuals must be of a compassionate nature, be able to lift 50+ pounds, endure strenuous activity.
Experience working with companion animals is preferred. Our kennel staff are responsible for the caring of our boarding and hospitalized animals, maintaining a clean hospital environment, and providing assistance to our veterinarians and technician staff.
Our clinic has one full time doctor and we are open Monday and Tuesday 7:30am to 6pm, 7:30am to 7pm on Tuesdays, 8am to 5:30pm Thursdays and Fridays and 9am to 12pm Saturdays. Boarding and baths play a big role in services offered and both are usually in the top five services each month.
Basic Job Description:
· Observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
· Handle animals as required and restrain animals.
· Walk hospitalized and boarded dogs several times a day to provide exercise and time for elimination of bowels and bladder.
· Bathe, groom and provide care to boarded and hospitalized animals.
· Provide care for animals housed/visiting the Hospital. Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to Veterinary Technicians and Doctors.
· Apply knowledge of normal food and liquid requirements of animals. As required, provide special food and liquids.
· Discharge and admit animals at the request of Receptionists, Doctors and Veterinary Technicians. Assure animals being discharged have been checked by Veterinary Technicians and/or Doctor as needed. Ensure that animals are clean, dry and fresh smelling prior to discharge.
· Ensure that cages and animals are properly identified and that personal property (toys, treats, blankets, leashes) are stored in the proper area identified.
· Clean, disinfect and maintain kennels, cages, runs and stalls as often as is necessary to ensure no cages or kennels are soiled and odors are not apparent. Perform general cleaning in other areas of the hospital to control the spread of disease. Wash and sterilize water and food bowls.
· Operate washer and dryer to clean hospital laundry. Launder and dry towels and blankets.
· Patrol hospital grounds daily, picking up any trash and stool material.
· Empty trash.
· Groom animals utilizing techniques that vary depending on type of hair, coat, breed and owner instructions. Bathe and dry animals in timely manner.
· Work well with all employees and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors and the practice philosophy.
· Must be able to work all shifts, including some weekends and holidays.
· Assistant will be required to be at work when scheduled and be on time.
· Be able to handle multiple unrelated tasks simultaneously while working in a busy environment.
· Perform other duties as assigned.